[TenTec] Pegasus -- responsive tuning and comments

Ken Brookner kenb@brookner.com
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 07:02:49 -0800

Tim Cook asked about how responsive the Pegasus is to tuning.  I don't have
the remote tuning control, but can say that I found tuning the Pegasus via
the keyboard easy once I spent a few minutes with the interface.  Tim, it's
very responsive -- I can detect no latency whatever in my setup.  This is by
either using the arrow keys (up/down) or by directly entering the frequency
into the software and then hitting ENTER.  Dragging the "analog slider"
around is just as quick and makes large frequency changes very easy if you
just want to get into the 'ballpark.'

Some other comments:  I note that the 'denoiser' and 'automatic notch' don't
work in the AM mode.  This is a real shame and I hope that Tentec intends on
adding this option to the unit.  I also noted the "MARS" discussion
regarding this unit.  As another listmember reported using one of his
transceivers, I also use my TS430S as a pseudo signal generator for
alignments in the shack.  I'd hoped that with the additional control and
accuracy of the Pegasus that I'd be able to do the same with it.  I'd like
to see Tentec allow an option for out-of-band transmit too.  This would
benefit those with transverters as well.  Maybe Tentec could limit power
output in this mode or something...

But, I didn't buy the radio to just listen on shortwave (AM) or to align
equipment with.  I bought it to use on the ham bands and for this purpose
I'm very impressed by it's performance and happy with the way the software
works.  Just FYI...

73
kenb, N5LPI/7

kenb@brookner.com