[TenTec] Omni-V sick from pc

John - G3JAG patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk
Fri, 05 Nov 1999 23:52:45 -0000 (GMT)

OK Scott. Yes the three wire cable has to be wired the way T*T
recommend, but there is no other connection at all - there is no
provision for any of the normal handshaking lines to be connected
between the Omni-V interface and the PC. So the most the null modem
connection needs to do is swap TXD and RXD; anything else is
superfluous. I use just the three wire connection; nothing more.

Thats what makes me think you may have another problem. In particular, I
still wonder about RF feedback into the Omni-V RS232 port and/or into
the PC. Something is causing the problems you describe and stray RF has
to be a possibility. I have clip-on ferrite gizmos on many of my PC
leads here - just in case. I still get some RFI symptoms on the
monitor, usually only on 10 mHz. Not sure why, but other bands are
clear even at 500w output. Note that I can also hear the PC on 10 mHz,
unless I minimise the software that is running. If I put everything
into the background, most of the noises disappear. Sometimes thats the
only way to copy a weak signal underneath a birdy from the PC.

Turning the (full metal jacket) monitor off also works, but is a
nuisance.

Computers are a mixed blessing in a ham shack.

73 John