[TenTec] CAT and the Omni VI+

Jim Reid kh7m@hsa-kauai.net
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:09:50 -1000

> What is CdE ?

>From the Omni manual:

"Enable/Disable of the Continuous Data Echo mode.
This controls whether the transceiver automtically reports
changes from the front panel over the serial port."

> Does the OMNI VI report changes by itself or does the
>program have to poll it periodically ?

>From Section 5.4 of the Omni manual:

"After a transceiver has processed  a command sent from
a computer,  it will send a response back to the comptuer
that originated the command.  This insures that the computer
knows how the transceiver handled the command....also
provides pacing of commands.   If a computer sends a
command...that is not a status requesting..the transceiver
will respond either with a code indicating OK  or  NO GOOD.
etc."

Hope that answers the question. Unfortunatley,  this part
of the Omni manual reads as if the writer had no idea
what "transceiver"  he was writing about,  and perhaps
had no idea what one did?  Just a guess.

I got started on all this with my Omni after reading all
the rave reviews of how neat it was to operate the
Pegasus from the computer.  Guess the Omni can't
quite be operated in a similar way.  After experiencing
the TRX management of my FT-1000,  I had hoped
the same would be possible for the Omni VI+.

73,  Jim,  KH7M