[TenTec] 301 knob - TenTec logo

Michael Melland badger@vbe.com
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:03:49 -0600

00tlzivney@bsuvc.bsu.edu wrote:

> ... how to connect the wires to the little connector for the encoder - Dale
> pointed out that the wires need to be pressed into the connector so I used a
> fine-bladed screwdriver for that.

Dental pick for me........

> Then, the radio shack 4 conductor shielded cable several people
> have recommended proved too big for me to get the cable clamp around.  I
> had to cut off a piece of the tab and shave the main body opening bigger.

I modified the cable clamp.... ditto.

> Now, the remote knob works fine.  However, how do I get the TenTec logo
> to stay on the box?  The two pins on the back of the logo don't just snap
> into the box, and they aren't threaded so that I use nuts.  What's the
> secret?

I pressed a flat soldering iron to the pins and melted the plastic filler down
to the inside of the enclosure..... worked fine for me.  I "think" the logo is
actually metal over plastic filler...... at least as far as those pins go.

I also used a second nut on the encoder and "sunk" it into the case almost
flush.  I thought it looked a little goofy sitting way up in the air.  A second
result is the tension adjustment feature on the knob will now work.  And..... I
didn't add any inside weight to mine yet.  I don't think that for my style of
use it will be necessary.

73 de Mike Melland, W9WIS