[TenTec] Contests (was OMNI-VI Plus features lost...)

Bob bcitkow@execpc.com
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:01:19 -0500

i agree with the biggest amplifier winning to an extent, antenna/tower/qth
are also factors in who wins contests besides the operator skills involved.
a bad op with an amp cannot win contests, even with an kicking antenna
setup.

there probably should be an advantage to using lower power in scoring, but
who is to know if i am running 100/200/500 watts and saying that i am
running only 100w?  i could have stacked beams up 90 feet for 40m!  a long
time ago, just got my general, i was working a ssb dx pileup on 20m and the
dx said "only mobile station now please".  a guy in 2 land threw out his
call and was worked.  everyone jumped on him on the air because everyone
said he was running a linear to a tower and wasn't mobile.  he said he
wasn't.  who's to know?  he was in the log.

as to observers in contests!?!?!  no thanks.  there are already arrl
official observers out there looking for idiots.  if you frame the notice
that they send you it makes a nice addition to your ham shack wall!

contests are sometimes fun to be in.  i'm never going to win but like to
play once in a while.  i have a life and figure let those players have their
fun too.  most never get on the air unless there is a contest on.  work the
warc bands, work phone during cw contests, work cw during ssb contests.

a points scoring change might be interesting, arrl would never go for the
change tho.  see my who would know comments in the second paragraph.  if you
work a qrp station you should get more points for working it cause you gotta
listen harder and the sending qrp station should get more points because no
one can hear him.  then again, qrp stations, a and b power stations really
only compete against themselves in the listings anyway so what are we really
discussing here?

this could just be another one of those bandwidth wasting issues.

bob/n9jak