[TenTec] Computer Interface

Robert bigmack@nortexinfo.net
Sun, 03 Oct 1999 12:21:50 -0500

SO,
   Being the total geek that I am, I decided to see how easy it would be to
connect a PC to the Omni VI+... Here are a few of my observations...

My only rule... ALWAYS turn the rig off after making a change in the menus
that could alter the communications.. I dont know why, but for some reason
cycling the power seems to clear up all sorts of silly com problems.

Visual Basic makes it pretty easy to work with the rig, but, you need to
have a pencil out for the typo's in the manual. Hex FE is NOT 224, it is
254.. I spent a good while digging in code until I caught that
one.  Command 05h sets the transceiver frequency, and it is somehow missing
the boxed in banner for the entire section. I found it by trial and
error...  I have actually started working on a scanner function similar to
the logging programs out here, but I really don't want another logger, just
a basic utility for functional control..

If anybody out here is interested, I would be more than happy to have a
beta tester tell me that it works on their rig too.. I don't plan to charge
anything for the utility, and, maybe I can talk Ten Tec into putting it up
on their website as a basic control program...