[TenTec] Re:Tweet, Tweet

N1EU n1eu@yahoo.com
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 06:28:12 -0700 (PDT)

I wanted to copy the reflector (messages below) on an
exchange between Piotr and myself about the 10m birdy
problem on the Omni 6.  I'd like to encourage Omni
reflectorites so inclined, to put our heads together
about beefing up the internal grounding and shielding,
which is evidently a major cause of the problem.
Also, a note that different units seem to exhibit this
problem to a much lesser or greater degree.

73,
Barry  N1EU

-------------------------------
(read bottom message first)

Hi Piotr,

Your english is excellent, so don't worry about that
at all!

Thanks for the great info!!!  I can't try your
experiment with the main tuning knob because my main
tuning knob is dead right now because of the encoder
problem.  I will try it after I replace the encoder.

Everything you say gives me hope that we can improve
the situation.  Someone once told me that it could be
improved by resoldering all the holes on both sides of
the logic board.
This is probably related to the issue you mention that
the Omni doesn't have plated through holes.   I would
really like to try more than that - try some of the
things you are speaking of.  Maybe add extensive
grounding and shielding to some of the boards and
cables.  Tie the grounds on both sides of the board
together.  Make sure all the grounds are bonded well
together.

I wonder how difficult it is to remove the logic
board?  Guess it is just a matter of pulling all those
connectors, and then the board will pop right out.

I used to have a problem where I could hear display
noise in the receiver.  When I pushed buttons that
changed the display, I could hear the tones change.
Different digits produced different tones.  I'm sure
this is related to the same problem.

73,
Barry

=====