[TenTec] Mobile radio

Peter Inskeep pinskeep@iglou.com
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 23:09:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999 winjones@ix.netcom.com wrote:
Bill,

I cannot comment on the Scout.  Wish I had one so that I could.  I do have
a Kenwood TS50, so can comment on that.  The advantages of the TS-50
include its full coverage from 30 khz. to 30 mhz.; its AM, FM, SSB and CW
coverage; RIT; IF Shift; Squelch; Noise Blanker (which does work on auto
ignition noise); "AIP"; and front panel controlled receive antenna
attenuator.  As well, it has provision for a CW filter.  I have the
Kenwood 500 hz. CW filter installed.

Its functions are many, and are menu driven.  Very hard to change any of
them on the fly while driving.  Four of them can be put on four "function"
buttons on the mike.  It scans band segments as well, assuming you can
figure out how to program in the segments to be scanned.  Again, not the
sort of thing one wants to do while keeping both eyes on the road and at
least one hand on the wheel.

I use it in SSB mode while traveling mobile.  In that mode it works well.
I seldom run it at 100 watts, as it is easily switchable from 10 watts to
50 watts to 100 watts.  I normally run it at 50 watts.  I get good reports
using it.  A plus is that it of course covers the chicken band.  When the
driving gets rough I just switch to the chicken band and get trucker
reports.  Of course, I am sure it would not transmit on that band, but
would not know as it is not covered by my license.  Nice to be able to
hear where the trouble spots are, though.

I have also tried to use the TS-50 as a base rig on CW.  For casual cw
operation it is acceptable.  If one has a Ten-Tec rig of any vintage, and
I have two, there is no comparison between the TS-50 and the Ten-Tecs for
cw operation.  I don't think that the TS-50 matches either my Delta 580 or
Omni VI Plus in audio quality, which is a disadvantage running either
mobile or in the shack.  Forget operating the TS-50 in a cw contest.  It
pumps like crazy with nearby signals of any reasonable strength.

Even though I prefer my Ten-Tecs, and would love to have the Scout, I find
the TS-50 to be a nifty mobile all-purpose rig.  Had the Scout come out
when I got my TS-50, I'd have the Scout.  Had the ICOM 706 been available,
I am sure I would have preferred the 706.  But, I am happy with my TS-50.

I took a trip from Kentucky to Montana to fish this past summer.  Had a
blast running mobile all the way out and all the way home.  Even checked
into the Ten-Tec Users Net Sunday night.  Whatever rig you get, you will
love running mobile.

Pete, NO2D
Pewee Valley, KY