[TenTec] Scout VS. DX-77

Dale L. Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 17:53:04 -0500

>What makes you think the company ad writer didn't provide the copy to
>CQ. That's a lot cheaper than loaning a radio!
>
>73, Jerry, K0CQ

Sometime back, I bought a Heil Headset and boom mic.  Each of the
three reviews (CQ, QST, and 73) spoke glowingly of the mic's ability
to work across the Kenwood, Icom, Ten-Tec, and Yaesu radios.

Bunk!

I had bought adapters for the Icom/Ten-Tec and the Yaesu (or
Kenwood--I have forgotten which exactly).

Our club station at work has a TS-950, FT-1000, and IC-781; my home
station has an Omni VI..  The only radio the mic worked well with was
the Kenwood and I think that was without an adapter--I may be
mistaken, but it was either the Kenwood or the Yaesu, I forget now
which.

Be that as it may, each of the reviews spoke highly of the ease at
which the mic could operate on the different radios.  Reading them, it
wasn't hard to get a sense that something was amiss.  What are the
odds that the three reviewers checked out each mfr radio with their
respective boom/mic headsets?  hmmm....

I sold the boom/mic headset at a hamfest a few weeks later, cheap:
~$50.  I included a lengthy description of my experience with it so
the buyer knew what he was getting.

73,
dale, kg5u