[TenTec] Hot Heat Sink on Omni 6+

vbbond@ix.netcom.com vbbond@ix.netcom.com
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 08:35:08 -0700

Folks:
     I just noticed something on my two-month old Omni 6+ that has me
concerned. Yesterday, after tuning the Johnson Matchbox on 10 meters CW
(I pre-set the controls from a chart and afterward send a dit or two to
ensure the SWR is flat) I tuned around the band looking for some DX. I
noticed as my hand brushed against the back of the rig that the rear
heat sink was getting very hot and I had not even really transmitted! I
immediately turned off the rig and let it cool down for a half hour or
so. Later, I turned it on and once again (with no transmitting) the rear
heat sink started to immediately heat up, once again getting quite hot.
Checked 40 meters, same thing happened. Decided to leave rig off.
     I suspect something on the PA Board failed and I somehow have a
problem now with the bias cutoff regulation function. The transmitter
still functions fine with full output and proper IC readings.
     I have a hunch my brand new rig is going to receive a vacation in
Sevierville for a few weeks. Have others experienced this problem?  Any
ideas, suggestions? Much appreciated.

     Vince/K7NA
     Carlsbad, Ca.