[TenTec] FS: Mint Argo 509 Station

DSJKALLEN@aol.com DSJKALLEN@aol.com
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 13:14:01 EDT

All good things must eventually come to an end, and this is the case with my
beloved Argo 509 station.  As the original owner, I have made the very
difficult decision to sell the 509 with all accessories (the 206-A xtal
calibrator, 208 audio filter, homebrew power supply/speaker, and all owner's
manuals.)

1).  The Argo 509 is truly in like new condition.  It has the large PTO knob
and corresponding dial skirt.  During a recent visit to Sevierville for a PTO
rebuild and full alignment, Garland Jenkins (the T-T Argo guru!) discovered
the original stock 4-pole 2.5kHz xtal lattice filter had a problem, so he
replaced it with the 8-pole 2.4kHz filter from the current Omni.  Therefore,
the rig has much improved SSB shape factor and ultimate stopband rejection.
And, somewhat surprisingly, the sensitivity and noise floor did not suffer at
all.  The Omni filter must have a similar insertion loss factor to the
original 509 filter.

2).  The 206-A xtal calibrator is in mint condition.

3).  The 208 audio filter is in mint condition, and has had the audio notch
filter from the Omni Series C installed.  Thus, not only does the 208 offer
the selectable CW bandwidths within the audio-derived AGC loop, the audio
notch is fully functional within the loop as well.

4).  The homebrew power supply with speaker in also in mint condition, and
looks as if it was a factory-designed and produced piece of equipment.  Built
into a matching Ten-Tec enclosure, it includes a front facing speaker with
Ten-Tec grille, mic and headphone jacks on the front panel, and a red "power
on" LED mounted in the red circle of the Ten-Tec plastic logo on the front
panel.

5).  All original owner's manuals, including a number of the Ten-Tec Argo 509
QSL stickers as supplied by the factory at time of purchase are included.

I don't think you will find a complete 509 station as well cared for and in
nicer condition than this one.  The Omni 8-pole filter and the (IMHO!) really
well done power supply/speaker, and its overall condition and performance,
make it a unique and one of a kind 509 station.

If your not completely satisfied upon taking possession, I will refund the
purchase price, less shipping costs.  I want the new owner to be as happy
with the 509 as I have been.  And, I will not sell the accessories
separately.  It will sell as an entire package, or not at all -- sorry.

Price:  $375.00, plus shipping.

VY 73,
Don Allen W9CW
Urbana, IL