[TenTec] [Q] Temp ctrl Fan available?

George T. Baker w5yr@swbell.net
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 11:19:10 -0500

It seems curious that you need to ventilate the cabinet to control drift.

My Icom IC-765 (sorry to be using bad words here!) with its internal
switching power supply is almost completely sealed with no interior air
flow or ventilation to speak of. I operate it 24/7 on a computer UPS in
order to keep the calibration, etc. stable with little or no discernible
drift. The cabinet runs very slightly warm on top. The external heatsink
seems to do an adequate job - with its internal fan - of dumping excess
heat while transmitting.

Stability is more than adequate for routine ham operating without the
24/7 mode, but since I work digital modes, etc. it is convenient for the
radio to always be stable whenever I want to operate.

What does TT say about the drift vs ventilation situation? Are their
radios not designed to be operated without external cabinet ventilation?

I am not trying to slam TT radios - just curious . . .   ;^)

72/73, George        AMA 98452		R/C since 1964
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 54th year and it just keeps getting better!
AutoPOWER Systems, Fairview, TX (30 mi NE Dallas)  Collin County
QRP-L QRP-ARCI FISTS NORCAL ZOMBIE ARS 10-X  33.2 N 96.6 W EM13RE