[TenTec] Tentec Amps

Jim Lowman jmlowman@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 12:00:25 -0700

zeitler@ibm.net wrote:

> Paul,

> Once the Titan IIs have been out on the streets for a bit that will most
> likely be the amp for this guy.
>
> For me, I have a homebrew 3-500Z deck that covers all HF bands 160 to 10 but
> I am very very into the Centaur and will most likely by a new one very soon.
> I need it like I need a hole in the head but for $749 it just keeps calling
> me......Lane I am still available......

If I do decide to go the amplified route, Lane, I'm with you on the Titan II.
However, being also a QRP enthusiast, I wonder if the Centurion isn't a worthy
choice?  The pair of 3-500Z design has been the basis for many a fine amplifier,
including the Drake L-4 and the Heathkit SB-220.  Plus, the Centurion design
matches nicely my new Omni VI Plus and soon-to-be-ordered 238 tuner.  As the
callsign implies, I am nearly a 100% CW operator, and the Centurion yields a
fine 1kw output.  Following your and my 3 db rule, the difference between 1000
and 1500 watts is 1.76 db.

Anyone know the replacement cost of the 4CX1600B (Svetlana) final in the
Titan II?  As the QRP bunch often says, "Life's too short for $800 finals."  :-)

73 de Jim - AD6CW