[TenTec] Southpaw CW (was Re: Copying CW in your head)

The Motley's hmmjr@erols.com
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 11:08:24 -0400

> my right thumb making dahs and my first finger making dits. Have I been
> using the paddles backwards all these years..?? Is there a standard..?
Tim,
Actually you will find that most people send dits with their thumb and
dahs with their fingers.  This came from the the semi-automatic key or
bug. You will find it is much easier to send a series of manual dahs
with your fingers than it is with your thumb.  When electronic keys came
into general use in the late 50's and early 60's bug users switched to
paddles using the same method - dits with thumb and dahs with fingers.
With a fully automatic keyer it really doesn't matter which way you do
it because it's just as easy to make dahs as dits.  The best way now is
the way that feels best for you.  No "new trick" is required. Just keep
sendin that CW your way.
73,
Puck, W4PM

P.S. I know some guys who send with bugs "backwards" making dahs with
their thumb.  For the life of me I don't see how they do it. :-)