Omni-V tune up was Re: [TenTec] PBT position

JEFF S JOHNSON aa8ve@juno.com
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:33:44 -0400

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:55:41 +0100 (BST) John - G3JAG writes:

> Do you have any tips on alignment of the tuned circuits ?? I am sure
> lot of guys might well be interested in keeping their OMNI-V's
> running
> (no way can I afford to import the latest OMNI-VI now I am
> forcibly retired).
>
> 73 - John G3JAG

Yes John, I have been into nearly every tuned circuit in the Omni-V
mostly just to learn how it all works. Most of them don't need to be
adjusted unless you have reason to think something is wrong with them.
None of them should be touched without being able to measure where they
are to start with and see what the changes are as they are adjusted.
Since there are so many I'll not get specific here but feel free to ask
me about any of them you may have a question on. Ten Tec service has been
very good about answering any question I've had and have given me a lot
of good tips. There are a few mods they have to improve the receiver and
I've done most of them.  Also there are a few things they have upgraded
like the display driver board that help on the noise floor.  If the rig
can be sent in to service they can tell you what has been done to yours.
But the thing that I found to help with internal noise and general
receiver performance the most was proper alignment of the BFO board for
starters then, one board at a time ( use a lot of caution on the pll
board it is a vital organ!) was taken out and I soldered each component
that has a grounded lead to both the top and bottom of the board, meaning
the copper foil on top of board at the pass through hole. When each board
was replaced I cleaned all the plugs and pins with De-oxit type cleaner.
After each board was done I turned on the rig to check it out and could
hear an improvement right away.  Also be sure all the screws on the
boards are tight, this is very important on the logic board as it can
make a lot of noise if not grounded well.  Make sure not to damage the
ground foil on the board around the screw holes and if they are buggered
up find a way to repair them.

I to can no way afford the new Omni-VI, well maybe someday but I bet it
won't be a brand new one. Yep we can keep the Omni-V alive for a long
time.

Time for me to get on the air!  73  rig hr Ten Tec de AA8VE    -Jeff-