[TenTec] Pegasus and computer noise problems

Richard B Drake rbdrake@erols.com
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 17:15:44 -0400

I was having a couple of minor computer related rf problems. One
was that when I operated on 80 meters some rf was getting into the
computer via the RS-232 rig control cable and causing my keying
circuit to latch up. A second was that I was hearing some noise in
my receiver on 15 meters that seemed to be coming from the USB
cable going to my modem. I remembered an old trick from the ARRL
antenna book of forming an rf choke in coax simply by winding
about 7 turns of coax in a tight loop and taping it up. If it
works for coax, why not for computer cables? So, I made just such
a coil on both the RS-232 and the USB cables. Both problems gone.
Very simple to do and worth a try if you have a little slack
cable.

---
73, Rich - W3ZJ
w3zj@arrl.net