[TenTec] 2591 sub-tone module

seweber@netnitco.net seweber@netnitco.net
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 07:32:31 -0500

At 9:34 PM -0500 4/11/00, Al Gulseth wrote:
>How does one determine if there is a 2201 sub-tone module installed in a
>2591 HT? Are there any outward clues? I suspect there isn't one in this
>2591 -- if not, are there any 2201s out there or a suitable substitute
>tone board that doesn't require major surgery to install?
>
>73,
>
>Al WB5JNC

Al and the group;

The subtone encoder module on my 2591 is a 1 inch thick gizmo that fits
between the HT and the battery pack.  It slips on like a battery, and the
battery slips onto the bottom of the encoder.  My HT is very early - ser
00228 - and fitting the tone module involved replacing the two terminal
power connection plate on the bottom of the radio with a three terminal
version that was supplied at no charge by the wonderful folks at TenTec.
The encoder module is apparantly a very rare bird!

Hope this helps.

73 de Steve KD9BO

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed
(and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an
endless series of hobgoblins; all of them imaginary."

 -- H.L. Mencken