[TenTec] Mic's Better or Best

Bob & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw@blomand.net
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 21:17:20 -0500

Dave;

I too agree that the Tentec 705 is one of the best sounding mics for ham
radio and most operators voices on the market.  There's others that
offer different performance such as noise cancelling types (they
generally sound bad) as they have very limited frequency response and
lots of phase response problems especially when the operators lips are
not touching the mic.  Then the HiFi types that typically pick up every
noise in the room, the heaver mics such as the 444 that Winston
mentions.  While they sound good in most cases, they seem to get muddy
with certain voices.  I've heard the Heil Goldline with EQ used on the
air.  My opinion is if one needs EQ then the mic is not the best choice
match between the operator and the radio.  There's the old standby the
D-104 but they were designed for AM radios and their inherrant response
curve.  These do sound good but unless the element is good, and the
crystal element is prone to go bad with elevated tempertures and or high
humidty and then they are a hi-Z mic while the input to most of the
Tentec rigs are a lo-Z input.  Of course one can use the G-Stand with
the amp wired for a emitter follower to get a lo-Z output.  But then
there's a good likely hood that one will overdrive the input stage of
the radio hence become a distortion generator.

If you have any, what's your concern or objection to the 705.  The only
improvement that I made to mine is to replace the original wind screen
with a better quality wind screen.  I bought a wind screen for a Sony
ECM-44 which is a broadcast quality mic and wind screen. The Sony wind
screen fits over the 705 very snugly and is about the size of a marble.
Much smaller than the original windscreen from Tentec.  I think the Sony
windscreen does a better job of eliminating breath pops.

73
Bob K4TAX