[TenTec] Omni VI+ Stability

ac5aa@juno.com ac5aa@juno.com
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:39:00 -0500

Wow, after chasing 7O1YGF on 15m RTTY for hours tonight (and not netting
him yet), I have to give a rave review on the VI+.  It's still poorly
placed on the operating table to the right of the Centurion amp -
directly in the output hot air stream from the amp.  I think I could fry
an egg on the top of the VI+ cabinet right now.  It's really hot.  Yet, I
locked the "A" VFO on 7O1 three hours ago on a cold start and the rig has
not moved even a fraction - still perfectly tuned on his signal.  (Yes,
of course I leave 12V on the rig to keep the osc oven heated.)  No fan on
the rig's heat sink, but then it only requires about 50-60 watts to drive
the Centurion to 700W on RTTY.  I'm really impressed once again with the
VI+.  I've done this during RTTY contests before (not smart, but I guess
I'm too lazy to rearrange the shack!).  Hmm, maybe it's time to bring the
skillet in and fry up some late breakfast - hi!

	73,  Duane

Duane A. Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas
ac5aa@juno.com -or- ac5aa@earthlink.net