[TenTec] Sudden increase in power

Jan Ditzian ditzian@alltel.net
Mon, 07 Aug 2000 18:31:11 -0400

I suppose it is a bit Philistine of me to complain about an increase in power,
but that is exactly what has happened.  My Omni VI would never put out more than
70 watts, on any band.  I was going to change this but decided that it created a
margin of safety for my old AL-1200 amp.  If I need power, I use the amp, and
the maximum power of 70 watts of drive makes it harder to overdrive the amp.

Today, I turned on the Omni VI and the amp, and started to tune up.  Whoa, too
much output.  I quickly narrowed the situation down to the fact that now the
Omni VI puts out 120 watts.  Since there is an output level control, I just
turned that down.  I bought this radio used, and have had it for four or five
years.  Is this a midlife crisis for the radio, or can this be explained in some
more mundane, electrical manner?

I have not made any changes, or even opened the case up in several months.

Thanks for any ideas.

73,
Jan, KX2A