[TenTec] Fw: [AMPS] 3cx800a7 response from Eimac

Joe L Blackwell aa4nn@juno.com
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 04:12:50 -0400

The issue, TTers, is simple.  The escalating cost of the 3CX800A7
forced Ten-Tec to stop production of the Titan I.  The tubes were
readily available but the cost just drove the amp beyond profitability
based on the initial quoted price for a Titan I.  That's just too bad.
The Titan I amplifier has to be the greatest amp ever built.  The only
real reason to discontinue it would be the cost to produce it.

The Titan II with its self-contained power supply is a disaster, IMHO.
Try lifting 93 pounds of amp onto your operating table.  Oops, need
a stiff knee over there, one here.  Uh, maybe one in the middle!

The issue here, TTers, is liability.  Put a power supply on the floor,
an RF deck at the operating position and run a B+ between them.
Maybe a cat or dog or kid could chew on that B+ line and get some
sort of a surprise.  Not likely, but that's a manufacturer's concern.

de Joe, aa4nn