[TenTec] Pegasus upper band rec

N2dmo@aol.com N2dmo@aol.com
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 14:06:19 EDT

I have a general question for all Pegasus owner's or past owners.  Loved the
radio, lots of great features, got good audio reports, all in all a great rig
for the price.  Even liked it better than my Kachina, except for on area.

The receiver went asleep above 20 meters.  On 20 and below the receiver was
good.  On any band higher, the signals just were almost not there.  I
discovered this while looking for many of the DX stations on last spring.
Using packet spots I would try and find the Dx station, or just the pile up.
On the Pegasus I could just hear them in there.  On other rigs the signals
were present,  at different levels, but could be heard, much better.

I have heard other people, who own the Pegasus say that they have noticed the
same thing.

If anyone out there could come up with a good answer I would appreciate it.

The other rigs in the house at the time were, a Icom 775, Icom 746, FT - 100,
and a fully modified Sherwood Drake C-line.  The antennas were either tuned
flat for the band, or adjusted to the FREQ using a Palstar 4k tuner.  The
comparisons were done using a a 4 position Alpha Delta coax switch.

Just wondering if it might of been just the Pegasus I had, or if it's common
to the rig. The reduced rec was more than just slight.

>From what I can tell, there seems to be no way to adjustments of that nature
to the Pegasus.

I was thinking of buying another one, but am a little gun shy because of this
quirk.

Thanks,  Lance L  k4wh@arrl.net