[TenTec] TT Scout on batteries?

Bwana Bob wb2vuf@qsl.net
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 20:12:41 -0500

Yes, I added a ferrite choke to the fuel pump leads on my Ford Explorer.
I cut into the wiring as close to the pump as I could get (which was
still about 2 feet away, somewhere around the wheel well. I made a
common mode choke by winding both leads around a ferrite rod which was
then covered with shrink sleeving. It helped a lot but did not cure the
problem completely. A better solution would prpbably be the addition of
a marine type or other heavy duty filter. Maybe some braid could be
slipped over the fuel pump cable.

After 100,000 miles my fuel pressure regulator failed and the pump
started squealing. Although back pressure from the regulator may have
caused the pump to become noisy, because of its age, I had the pump
replaced. The new pump seems to be quieter.

Don't forget that a major source of noise is the heater and A/C blower
which runs all the time. I plan to add coaxial feedthrough capacitors
to the motor leads. The leads are easily accessible in the engine
compartment.

			73 All,

				Bob WB2VUF