[TenTec] Making a new house "radio friendly"

Stan Jacox stan@studio-maint.com
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 08:36:48 -0800

All good advice.
There is a relatively new wrinkle to ham friendly homes and that is RF noise
leakage and generation.  All appliances many new lighting schemes and all
high speed data access systems are contributor to the general background
noise that has steadily risen in recent years.  If you are doing the work
your self it might be worth while to use shielded twisted pair wire for the
phone circuits, triac dimmers replaced with quiet variac dimmers and banning
any RF igniters in lamp systems.  Selecting appliances that have quieter
microprocessor clock radiation can be aided by taking a small AM radio with
you to the appliance store to see how much RF hash and clock noise is heard
when holding the radio's ferrite loop near the appliance.
Just a few examples...I am sure others will be able to add to that list.

Stan
KM6XZ
----- Original Message -----
From: "Sherrill WATKINS" <SEWATKINS@dgs.state.va.us>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>; <mark@microenh.com>
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2000 7:50 AM
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Making a new house "radio friendly"

> Mark:  The reason the neutral of the power line is grounded outside the
house at the meter is for safety.  It is to try to keep any lightening
strike on the distibution lines from running into your house.  It is a good
idea to have at least four ground rods, spaced 8' apart in a square pattern,
and connected to the utility ground with heavy copper wire, where the
service enters your house, near the meter.  Do not bury ground radials near
the septic system.  The chemicals in the water will distroy the copper or
anything else metalic. Also, have the utility company install a surge
suppressor in the service entrance panel box.  Install at least a 200 ampere
service.  Cuttler Hammer makes excellent residential circuit breaker service
boxes. Make sure all electrical work conforms to the National Electrical
Code including GFI breakers where required.   Have your electrician use
metal boxes where all splices are made instead of the cheap plastic boxes.
Decide which room will be you!
> r ham shack.  Have a separate branch line for the ham equipment with 240
VAC available incase you ever wish to operate a QRO vacuum tube amplifier.
When the framing is complete but before the dry wall is installed, run
multiple heavy high quality coax lines to a convenient outside point for
your antennas.  A little planning now can pay big dividends later. - Corn
k4own