[TenTec] Titan II Mods

Bob & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw@InfoAve.Net
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 18:08:04 -0800

Whie Roy writes about this capacitor issue in the Titan. I experienced a
problem with the disk ceramic caps (220 pf) used in the Model 238
tuner.  Under certain conditions these caps would get quite hot, they
change value and thus the SWR changed.  Once they cooled, the SWR
returned to the original value.  This only happened with 1KW or more in
power.  After a bit of chasin' I found the guilty part, replace it with
a transmitting type mica and no more problems were experienced.  I seem
to recall from by broadcast days that transmitting caps do have a RF
current rating value in amps.  I doubt that the disk ceramic caps can
handle much current as evidenced by their heating.  Interestingly
enough, the problem occurred on 75 M around 3900.  At 3950 and above and
below 3850 there was no problem, even at 1500+ watts.

I also had one of the 50pf caps (either C8 or C7) explode.  Those were
replaced with a "real" transmitting cap.  After that all is well at any
freq with more than 1500 watts into the tuner.

Merry Christmas to all

73
Bob K4TAX