[TenTec] Omni C / Corsair Hssssss.

Clark Savage Turner csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:28:59 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Simmons, Reid W wrote:

> If I have one complaint about the OMNI VI it's the background hiss (speakers

(a lot is snipped out)

Yes, it would be nice if Ten Tec's audio chain generated less hiss.
Contrary to others' experiences, my Japanese Kenwood TS 850 is does not
generate hiss in the audio, and clearly generates a broader range of clean
sounding audio.  I had hoped to give my OMNI VI similar sounding audio
(for SSB, I know, an unknown mode to many of you...you know who you
are!)  with the 2.8 INRAD filters, but no such luck.  It is a little wider
than with the 2.4's, but not near as nice as the Kenwood's pair of 2.7's.

This is *not* because the TS 850 has more synthesizers (hi)...
and certainly not because of Kenwood's audio rolloff.  I can kick in the 6
KHz filters or the 2.7's and hear a brighter sounding SSB, not muddy at
all, with the Kenmore appliance :-) .  My carrier oscillators are set to
specs on all my radios  :-)  :-)

Clark
WA3JPG