[TenTec] Omni C / Corsair Hssssss.

K & H Darwin darwin@together.net
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 17:58:53 -0500

----------
> From: Clark Savage Turner <csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu>
*snip*

> Yes, it would be nice if Ten Tec's audio chain generated less hiss.
> Contrary to others' experiences, my Japanese Kenwood TS 850 is does not
> generate hiss in the audio, and clearly generates a broader range of
clean
> sounding audio.
> This is *not* because the TS 850 has more synthesizers (hi)...
> and certainly not because of Kenwood's audio rolloff.  I can kick in the
6
> KHz filters or the 2.7's and hear a brighter sounding SSB, not muddy at
> all, with the Kenmore appliance :-)

Ah, there we go.  All this time I'm thinking about my home stereo system
with its 90dB S/N ratio.  Why can't a rather simple receiver design
accomplish the same thing?  Yea, I know we're comparing apples to oranges
but I can't help it think that TT just chose to not address the hiss issue
because they didn't think it was worth the cost.

Regardless, now that I have my hi-fi 'phones running through an inline
volume control, most of the hiss is gone.

TenTec - Amazing rigs.  Rough around the edges, always gave me the feeling
that I was using an engineering prototype, but they do work pretty darn
well!!

73 all!

Keith Darwin
KD1E