[TenTec] Omni Noise

Dale L. Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 08:03:21 -0600

I was one of the commentors about the 'noise'.

The noises I heard with the RF gain backed down to fully CCW were heard only
there.  For the VFO synthesizer(?) noise, it is not heard until the AF gain is
advanced above 12 o'clock position.  Even then, I had to know what I was
listening for to hear it.  Running up the RF gain beyond 12 o'clock, I cannot
hear that noise.

For the high frequency tone (2-5kHz?) that I am hearing, the AF gain must be
above 12 o'clock and the RF gain below 12 o'clock.  With the RF gain above 12
o'clock, the tone is masked.

Based on my operating habits and techniques, the 'noises' are inconsequential.
Like Piotr did, I'm sure that with some effort the noises can likely be
reduced, but to what end and at what cost?  They don't affect my operating
ability or my on-the-air performance, so I'll just leave them be and carry on
having fun!

73,
dale, kg5u