[TenTec] OMNI-C Gain on 160

Clark Savage Turner csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 19:12:48 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Gerald C Totten wrote:

>   With all the OMNI-C "talk" this evening,  has anyone ever come up with
> a cure for the lack of RF gain on 80 and 160?  I know that most of the
> time the pre amp is good enough but it bugs me that I have to add about 1
> s-unit to the reading on 80 to give an accurate report and at least 2
> s-units on 160.

A consequence of the design.  I talked at length with Ten Tec about this
once or twice, the rig was designed to have lower sensitivity on 160 and
80 is on the tail end of the preamp's range.  They figured that high
sensitivity is not needed for these bands.  Somewhat true....unless you
have a nice low noise antenna and sharp filter engaged to hear a DX
station at the right time :-).

Clark
WA3JPG