FW: [TenTec] OMNI VI FM reception

MINER, BILL (PB) WLMINER@msg.pacbell.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 12:26:57 -0800

Hello T-Tekies,

My Omni VI+ also has low audio levels on FM.  The reduction in audio gain
seems to be coming from the DSP unit.  I have not found anyone at Ten Tec
that can explain this.  I agree with others that have indicated that it
would probably be necessary to attempt to take audio directly from the FM
discriminator for satellite work (if you can get to it).  The FM circuitry
is all in one chip.
73, Bill - K6WLM

-----Original Message-----
From: Clark Savage Turner [mailto:csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2000 9:19 AM
To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI FM reception

Hi all -

Setting up a satellite ground station here for UHF.  Want to use the OMNI
VI for the IF, and need to receive 9600 baud using FM.  This requires
wideband FM reception and the OMNI specs at 15 KHz 6 db bandwidth there so
it should work.  Anyone try this?  My only concern is that I have used the
rig on FM and it delivers fairly low audio compared to SSB and CW, I am
not sure what that is about.  Is the FM audio chain restricted at all?
Don't have my manual here, curious if anyone else has done UHF satellite
work using the OMNI VI.  I am working with some student teams here at Cal
Poly University to put some birds in space (and create a few hams too!)

Clark
WA3JPG