[TenTec] Hercules II Power Source

John - G3JAG patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk
Sat, 01 Jan 2000 13:57:18 -0000 (GMT)

I carefully set the 9420 internal regulators to 14.00v with a digital
meter. TT say to set them all exactly at 14v, within 0.1 volt. I
reckon the actual voltage in my Herc II under full load is not more
than 13.5; I have no easy way to access the inside of the 9420 or the
inside of the Herc  II when they are in my very small shack. But it
looks as if I lose around half a volt in the standard 9420 power cable
and connectors, even though I have a separate 120 amp earth bus from the
9420 to the Herc II (and to everything else). The earth bus uses brazed
battery lugs and bolted connections, no crimped joints or plugs/sockets.

I forgot to mention that when I re-soldered the Herc II control board I
also cleaned the relay contacts up. All of the current to the final
transistors goes through them and it does not take much resistance at 20
amps to cause a voltage drop. This is one of the less attractive
features of a low voltage, high current PA, but I still love the thing.
Its so quiet; no 100 cu.ft/minute blower screaming its head off. (If
the airflow is not high enough to lift the 8877 out of its socket, you
simply don't have a big enough blower).

John G3JAG

E-Mail: John - G3JAG <patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk>
Date: 01-Jan-00