[TenTec] Hercules II Power Source

Greg Hodsdon k7kj@teleport.com
Sat, 01 Jan 2000 14:03:25 -0800

Hi Jim:

Jim Reid wrote:

> Gregg, K7KJ wrote:
>
> > Jim:
> > Just checked my 10 year old Hercules II/9420 PS on 7.025 into a dummy
> > load using a VFD wattmeter: 26w in/ 540w out, 35w in/ 600w out, and will
> > put out well over 600w (with the red LED on!). Keep in mind the 9420
> > puts out 14.0 vdc, no load.
>
> Now that is interesting,  Gregg.  That is exactly 13 dB gain on the
> first pair,  and 12.3 dB on the second.  My numbers show my
> solid state amp is producing only about 8 dB gain,  hmmmmm?
> Yes,  84 in, 570 out is only a numerical gain of 6.8x's, or some
> 8.3 dB.  I can crank the Astrons up to 14 vdc,  but probably won't.

I would expect a big difference in the performance of the Hercules amp going
from a 12vdc buss to a 14vdc buss. That's about a 15% or so change in voltage.
I suspect that much of the difference in performance of the amp that we see on
these discussions are a result of the capability of the various power sources.

You may not be aware of it, but the 9420 power supply is actually four (4)
separate power supplies run in parallel and packaged in one box. There's 4
separate power transformers (plus a control transformer), 4 regulator boards,
4 capacitor filters, etc. plus a separate control board.

> Herc. II typicals from the TT web page:
>
> "RF Power: 1000 watts input. 500/600 watts output, depending
> on frequency and load impedance.
>
> Drive Power: 65 to 80 watts typical for 500 watts output.
>
> (Or a typical Herc.  gain of around 9 dB down to only 7.9dB,
> with 80 in and 500 out)
>
> Primary Power: RF deck, 12 to 14 volts at 100 amps, maximum"
>
> Your Herc. II at 13 dB gain is a real "hot one",  Gregg,  hi.

My amp probably is not untypical. TenTec specs are meant to be "loose enough"
to cover a battery system powered amp as well.  The Herc's output does vary
from band to band, but will easily output 600 plus watts on most. I run the
amp per the book and do not drive it beyond where the bar graph red LED
lights.

> Does the 9420 PS have a current meter,  if so,  how much
> current is being drawn?

The power supply does not have built in metering and there is no easy way to
measure the current unless a person is to build an outboard metering adapter.
There are four separate power circuits (+ and -) going to the amp from the
9420.

Good luck with your amp!
73 and HNY,
Greg, K7KJ