[TenTec] Re: Keyer selection

John - G3JAG patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk
Sun, 02 Jan 2000 00:12:46 -0000 (GMT)

Thats about it. If you read up on why there are so many fancy keyers
with dot memory and/or dash memory, the bottom line is that its dead
easy to start a self-completing dash (in particular) and then move the
lever to the dot side before the dash ends and the following
dot space is completed. Result - a missing dot (or dash). Its even
easier to goof if you have two levers to play with ... The early
automatic keyers with self-completing dots/dashes (and no dot/dash
memories) were very demanding on operator skill and timing.

Thats why folk generally prefer at least a dot memory for a dual lever
paddle. But its also useful for a single lever. The iambic keyer is the
less attractive implementation (in my not at all humble opinion).

Unfortunately for me, brought up on strictly non-iambic thingies, the
latest keyer designs are a pain in the butt to use. Try to break the
habits of a lifetime (single squeeze for a 3 or a J) and the result is
string of did-dah-did-dah-did garbage.

Use whatever you are comfortable with, but practice first and go slow
enough for me to copy. Thank you.

73 and have a nice 5 wpm New Year   -- John G3JAG

E-Mail: John - G3JAG <patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk>
Date: 01-Jan-00
Time: 23:58:04

This message was sent by XFMail