[TenTec] Re: Keyer selection

ac5aa@juno.com ac5aa@juno.com
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 21:32:05 -0600

It might help to fully define terms since some may be thinking
"non-iambic" means single paddle, or using the single paddle technique
even when using dual paddles - i.e, not "squeeze" keying where both
contacts are closed at the same time.  I can send full iambic squeeze
mode if I think about it.  In fact, CQ de AC5AA is very conducive to
iambic squeeze keying.  But, I have keyer memories for that, and use them
faithfully.  When it comes to conversational mode, I guess I used a bug
for too many years as I just slap the Bencher paddles instead of squeeze.

As for which keyer is "best", I've found that the Logikey is very
forgiving in the sense that I never get extra dit's at the end of
characters while I consistently do with some of the MFJ keyers.  Both are
supposed to be operating in the same mode, so I can't explain the
difference. I thought I had lost it a year after coming back to ham radio
and I still couldn't send well.  Then I tried the Logikey and all has
been well since (er, uh, at least when I make mistakes, it's because it
was my fault!).

	73,  Duane

Duane A. Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas