[TenTec] argosy battery operation question...

agulseth@juno.com agulseth@juno.com
Sat, 08 Jul 2000 11:05:14 EDT

David,

An inline fuse is fine IF you don't mind the possibility of frequent
final replacement. (To quote one of the sublaws of Edsel P. Murphy
concerning the behavior of inanimate objects, "If a transistor is
protected by a fast-acting fuse, the transistor will protect the fuse by
blowing first.") Use the breaker. There is an acceptable substitute
Airpax 10A (?) breaker available from Ward's Marine Electronics
(somewhere in Florida I think -- check the reflector archives for info on
address, etc. as this issue has been discussed at length previously both
for the Argosy and the "big" rigs). Just be sure you get the "fast
acting" version of the breaker.

My experience? The 1125 breaker I have with my (analog) Argosy has
tripped a number of times on me over the years due to antenna problems,
etc. -- but I bought the rig and breaker new in 1982 and I've never had
to replace the finals. I think the breaker is worth having.

73,

Al  WB5JNC