[TenTec] Corsair II vs. Digital Trition 544

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj@ames.net
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 20:33:57 -0500

>From the circuit, I think the Corsair II should beat the Omni VI+ in
handling really strong unwanted signals. One other problem is that the
Omni V and VI shift to LSB on 10m for CW. When working mixed CW and SSB
with a transverter on 6m and up, shifting sidebands when changing from
SSB to CW is more intolerable than the Yaesu multimode shift of receive
frequency without changing the display when making that mode shift. That
has cost me many contest contacts and I don't appreciate it. The Corsair
II doesn't do that.

The Corsair II uses crystals and one VFO, while the Omni V and VI uses
crystals and one synthesizer. It may be a good synthesizer, but I worry
about phase noise characteristic of synthesizers causing reduced dynamic
range from reciprocal mixing.

73, Jerry, K0CQ