[TenTec] Pegasus, a sad day......

Chester Alderman chestert@pressroom.com
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:38:03 -0400

    I am an ex-TenTec user and I say 'ex' because I got 8 years of great
service out of my Omni 6 and my Titan amplifier and was/am very happy
with it. However it would never run CW fast enough for me, being limited
by design, to around 68 wpm. The limitation was not a design flaw, it
was a technology limitation. Since 60 wpm plus CW is one of the
enjoyments I get out of hamming, I had to look elsewhere...yes, I've
owned several Corsair 2's etc. and am well acquainted with TenTec gear.
    In April of '99 I bought a new Icom IC-781. Over a period of nine
months I had two problem with it that required shipment back to the
factory. The third time I had problems with it was eleven months into
the warranty period, at which time I decided I did not want to put up
with that many problems from a new radio; I wrote Icom a nice two page
letter explaining the situation and honestly thought I would get told
where to go! About 10 days after I mailed the letter, I received a phone
call from the Icom America manager telling me to pack up my IC-781 and
they would ship me a new one and pay the shipping (which is about $75
each way).
    I received IC-781 (#2) and when I plugged in the AC line and turned
it on, it was completely dead(a wire broke off the pwr supply board). I
called Icom America. They, at their expense, over-night shipped (at
substantially large cost) me a third IC-781 which worked
perfectly....for five days!! On the fifth day my third IC-781 would no
longer Rx or Tx(a wire broke in the PLL cableing). Icom offered to send
me a fourth IC-781, but I asked that this third one be repaired. Icom
America over-night shipped it back to Washington, repaired it and
over-night shipped it back to Virginia, their cost.
    Does TenTec have good customer service? They sure do! Do other
manufacturers have good customer service? They sure do! Do they all make
mistakes?  They certainly do!

Chester Alderman
W4BQF  (Tom)
chestert@pressroom.com