[TenTec] Rice Box

John Dvoracek jdvoracek@vvm.com
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 23:58:21 -0600

>   I always thought the term "Rice Box" came from the fact that the
early
> Japanese radios came packed in boxes made of rice paper.  Having
"hosted"

Wherever the term arose, someone in the translation department at Yaesu
had a sense of humor.  I purchased a used 144 mhz all mode rig (TT's
wasn't out then either) in the early 1980's - an FT227R I think.  I
swear, hidden in one paragraph in the manual was an admonition not to do
something or "the rice will fall out of the box".  I don't remember what
it was I wasn't supposed to do, and I am certain it was the (probably by
then ex-) translator who must have added that comment.

> the store I had purchased the radio from and was told I could not
return
> it to the store but must send it to Kenwood East ( Oops ) for repair.
At

> the display and still no receive.  A phone call or two later and back
it
> went. ( Yep, another $8.00 )  A month later it came back with a new

> oscillator.  I wrote this all down, called Kenwood west ( Oops again )
> and explained why I was sending it to them and trotted off to UPS with
my

See http://jzap.com/n6tr/850repair.html - some interesting insights on
the need for an approach to repairs by that company.

73, de ke5c, op  john