[TenTec] Non-Ten-Tec Radios

Dale Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 00:16:31 -0600

Ladies and gentlemen,

I've owned a TS-930S.  A super radio.  Once, it needed service from Kenwood.
They did a super job at a decent price and in a timely manner (within 2
weeks).

I've operated Yaesu FT-1000/FL-7000, Icom IC-781/IC4KL and Kenwood
TS-950/TL-922a transceiver/amps at our club station at work for a number of
years with no problems from them.  Great radios and amps. As are our Icom
VHF/UHF satellite stations.

I own a Yaesu FT-100 and I love it.  When I blew the 500Hz filter
installation, Yaesu repaired my damage, installed the filter, and sent it
back.  Free.

Year's ago, my old Icom 25A needed service.  I sent it off.  Got it back in
three weeks and it's been working fine for 10 years.

My TR-7950 was seriously affected by a lightning strike here at the house.
Kenwood repaired it (completely blown final board) for a nominal fee and in
a timely manner.  It's been working fine
since.  That same lightning strike affected my Omni VI audio output.  It was
sent off to Ten-Tec and was back in a timely manner and at a nominal price.

I've owned a Ten-Tec Model 544 and had a reed relay problem.  Ten-Tec
replaced it.

I've owned a Ten-Tec Omni VI (my first one) which Ten-Tec could not get
working to my satisfaction.  I was asked what I wanted to do:  Get my money
back or get another Omni VI.  I opted for another VI.  That was in 1992.  I
still have it, with the upgrade 3 option.

I just recently purchased another Omni VI as radio2 for contesting and like
it fine.  It has a problem on LSB which will need either my attention if I
can find the time and it's within my ability or it'll be sent off to Ten-Tec
service dept.  I expect they will fix it for a nominal price and in a timely
manner.  No problem.

So.  What's the point?  The point is any product can have a problem and
every manufacturer can and does have a the occasional problem piece or
pieces of equipment.  GM, Ford/Lincoln-Mercury, Chrysler, and everybody else
who ever produced anything for sale has...and likely will for at least as
long and you and I are around.   Some people are lucky in their purchases;
others may not be so fortunate.

Now....

Can we please, please, please get off this manufacturer bashing and stick to
the purpose of the reflector???

73,
dale, kg5u