[TenTec] CAUTION: SSB Comments Only (for N4PY)

Beamer, Jay JBeamer@PanAmSat.com
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:50:42 -0500

Carl,

Had a thought on the Pegasus the last couple days that you might like to
look into in your spare time.

As you may know, I've been playing around with enhanced audio for a while
now on my omni V using 2.8K Inrads and the thoughts are related to improving
the Pegasus SSB audio.

I have listened fairly closely to several Pegasus out here locally and it
appears as though when a wider xmit bandwidth is selected, the low
frequencies seem to disappear.

For example, at a xmit bandwidth of 2.4K the xmit freq response might be,
let's say, 100Hz - 2500Hz. Then when 3k is selected for the xmit bandwidth,
the response might be 300Hz - 3300Hz. In other words the lowest freq
produced is shifted up. At least that's what it seems like. Now grant it, I
only have a 2.8K rcv bandwidth with my Inrads, but even friends that are
listening to the Pegasus through 6k filters agree that the lowest freq
shifts up when going to a wider bandwidth.

So, if the freq is being shifted up when changing bandwidth, I believe it
can be shifted back down, at least I'm hoping so. Maybe it could even be
selectable, like the Kn 870. I didn't know the 870 had that capability till
last night.

Anyway, what a tremendous tool this would be to tailor one's audio frequency
response.

ciao for now,

J/KM6VX