[TenTec] Re: 580 Delta-was Receiver Lineage

Michael O. Hyder N4NT@chartertn.net
Mon, 1 May 2000 22:20:32 -0400

Well, I was apparently mistaken about the 580 Delta's IF scheme.  I had
thought it the same as the Corsairs -- knew it took different filters from
the older Omni's, but was designed to work the WARC bands without the 18 MHz
spur.

I may be mistaken about this, too, but thought the rebuild kits for the
PTO's of the 580 Delta and the Corsairs were the same.  Thought the Tritons,
older Omni's and Argosies were alike.

The 580 Delta has an annoying characteristic in that its frequency counter
does not count the band crystal frequency but instead just pre-scales for
what it ought to be.  This causes the readout to be inaccurate and the
inaccuracy varies from band to band.  There are no trimmers or padders on
the band crystals to set them.

Otherwise, I like the 580 Delta.  But having sold mine long ago, I would not
buy another one just because of the inaccurate readout.

73 de Mike N4NT@chartertn.net