FW: [TenTec] Ten Tec Performance (Long)

Jim Lowman jmlowman@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 03 May 2000 17:07:07 -0700

"LORONA,AL (A-USA,ex3)" wrote:

> Subject: [TenTec] Ten Tec Performance

<snip>

> I believe that the primary advantage of the Omni VI lies in an attribute
> which is currently out-of-fashion in the general amateur community. In the
> ham world at-large, the design emphasis in recent years has been
> predominantly in three major areas: 1/ more features, especially those
> involving digital signal processing (DSP), 2/ reduced size, and 3/ front
> panel appearance. DSP has allowed radios to do some amazing and complex
> things to both the received and transmitted signals. And yes, hams are
> fascinated by the ability to fit lots of radio into their compact cars. The
> quest for "the look" has led to LCD displays, intricate multicolor readouts,
> and clever controls that deviate from the standard rotary controls and
> single-throw switches.

I have to admit, the esthetics of the 1000MP and 1000D front panels is hard
to beat.  The Omni VI+ shows me a clean, uncluttered, no-nonsense look, which
is reminiscent of my first days as a ham, with my Drake "4" line station.

> (By the way, a friend of mine just bought one of the latest, greatest rigs,
> and when I asked him to turn up the mic gain he said, "Okay, let me get into
> that menu," so even the front panel test may fail in the future as more and
> more 'stuff' gets crammed into more and more menus!)

That's another thing that I appreciate about the Omni.  I have the original
model of the Icom IC-706 and, since I don't use it frequently, almost have
to have the manual open in front of me when using it, due to the dependence
on menus.  Things like going from the internal electronic keyer to a straight
key, for instance.  No, I'm not bad-mouthing the 706.  The tradeoff with the
menus for decreased footprint and easy mobile operation is obvious.

I recently bought an FT-847, for 6m/2m/70cm/satellite operation.  The poor
ease of use of the 706 was one of the reasons that I bought the 847, rather
than the IC-706MKIIG or the FT-100.

73 de Jim - AD6CW