[TenTec] New Receiver

Kirk Yarina k_yarina@hotmail.com
Thu, 18 May 2000 23:28:28 -0400

TenTec must have at least one dsp programmer that knows how to implement the
sync detector, so perhaps there's some hope.

The Pegasus uses flash, so upgrading should be pretty simple.  I believe the
RX-320 runs from eprom (I couldn't find the right screw removal combination
to see), so it'd take a chip swap, but it's still doable.

$4K's a bit much for me, especially after just buying a Pegasus, and way too
much for the ("don't you have enough radios already?") xyl.

Kirk

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sherrill WATKINS" <SEWATKINS@dgs.state.va.us>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>; <k_yarina@hotmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2000 8:37 AM
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Receiver

Ten Tec would probably sell more receivers if they included the synchrous AM
detector.  (They would probably sell more transceivers if they did the
same.)  At least I would probably buy one to replace my 30 year old Drake
SPR-4.  In this day and age, a short wave receiver without a synchrous a.m.
dear old Drake
SPR-4.  Intector is like a car without airconditiong  or an am-fm radio; who really
wants it?   Also, a few years ago the ARRL did an evaluation of the
Watkins-Johnson professional reciever and rated it a real dog. The results
of their evaluation were  published in QST. -Sherrill W.  k4own

>>> "Kirk Yarina" <k_yarina@hotmail.com> 05/17/00 08:24PM >>>

That depends what you mean by reasonable - it's $3950.00 at Universal Radio
( http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/0340.html ) .  It's got
the synchronous AM that hasn't made it into the RX-320 yet...

Kirk, KC8MMU