[TenTec] ten-tec supply has no protection

Sam Bridges radiobridge@InfoAve.Net
Sat, 04 Nov 2000 19:41:19 -0500

Tnx Budd(W5ben) for your e-mail on my decision to sell the 962 pwr supply.
I was shocked to learn that the people at TT said to keep yours and to the
notion that "there is no protection built into your new supply for the
Omni." I went to the new supply's manual to find an answer that suggest you
are misinformed.
	The Ten-Tec 9420 manual states on page iv "Built-in over voltage sensing
turns off the supply if the current climbs above 16 Vdc and over current
shut down,factory set to 25 Amperes, is included on the exciter output."
	Again enlarging further on the last thought on page 3 - 7/ 3 - 8 Blank
I read : "If the current delivered to the transceiver output becomes too
large,
comparator Q4-Q5 fires the overcurrent SCR Q3. The SCR causes relay K4 to
open and disconnects power from the transceiver connector."

	I believe that there certainly is more than "no protection" for the Omni.
Whether or not that protection is worthy of a $749.00 instrument is a
question of some moment. I do not know why TT is no longer selling the 9420
Supply but I like mine very much. So far.
	In any case the 962 pwr supply in excellent condtion is still for sale.
I will ship for $235.00.
          				73s de KJ4ZM  Sam