[TenTec] Jupiter display backlight

Bob & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw@InfoAve.Net
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:15:18 -0800

Sherrill;

My recall is that the strips were designed for aircraft usage (440 Hz AC
or so).  We used them on a product and supplied a variable AC source,
unfortunatly 60Hz, to illuminate bargraph meters on a professional audio
console.  They were darn expensive strips to buy, did have a shelf life,
and didn't last as long as we hoped for once put into daily usage.  The
company that supplied them went out of business, the technology was sold
to another company and they started the manufacturing process.  They had
a lot of quality problems which indirectly drove up the cost which was
passed along to the users each step of the way.  As we quit using this
technology in the products, the demand went down and up went the cost
again.  It got completely out of control with regard to suppling
replacement parts.  Customers refused to pay the price, the company
demanded a minimum order qty which we could not financially justify.

The product was last manufactured and we held an inventory for 7 years.
Legally we were not required to take this step.  The end result is that
we couldn't justify the cost of making a customer happy after a product
was no longer available.  Yep, we got a bad rap.  Unfortunately, the
design engineers didn't know 15 years earlier what the outcome of using
that technology would be.  'Hind site is always 20-20.

I think Tentec made good decisions.  However, certain unknown factors at
the design point caused good technical decisions to become bad business
decisions.

73
Bob K4TAX