[TenTec] RX-320 and other stuff.

William Mansey WA2PVK@prodigy.net
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 22:15:46 -0400

Hi Everyone,
    First let me reply to Mark;  my RX-320 was about 300Hz off frequency!  I
have a 10 MHz reference source and was able to get the receiver back on
frequency.  It is a simple adjustment JUST be sure to leave the receiver
turned on for quite a while before and after adjusting for the purpose of
stability.
    My other comment concerns the audio quality and/or killer antennas and
high power.  I have a space problem that prevents me from erecting humongous
antenna arrays.  I have a modest arrangement consisting of a Hustler 6-BTV,
a multi-band inverted V, and a poorly conceived and improperly installed
random, end fed, wire antenna.  I have an Omni VI and a TS-570DG (Kenwood).
I generally run a maximum of a whopping 75 Watts!!!  One evening, just after
putting up the random wire, I was tuning around and just happened to hear a
"CQ".  I gave a call and was answered on the second attempt.  I had not
bothered to check the power setting and discovered, to my pleasant surprise,
that I had been running a WHOLE 25 WATTS!!!  WOW!!!
The station I worked was in the Slovak Republic and he gave me a "5 - 5"
report.  Not the greatest BUT - - - a 100' wire end fed through a MFJ 941E
and only about 20 feet in the air?  I agree that it is more rewarding to
make contacts like this rather than with all the extra hardware.  Oh - and
by the way - I too made a contact in Australia with the Omni VI - inverted V
combo right after getting on the H.F. bands again.  I was as excited as Dan
with that accomplishment.  Sounding good is well - - - good - - - BUT that
is not what our hobby is about.  It is about communicating.  Conditions
generally are not so good, especially during an emergency, that one can
really bother as much with how someone sounds and much as with what they are
saying.  I do not mean to anger anyone.  We all have different interests and
all are equally legitimate and as meaningful to those involved.  I have
absolutely nothing against those operators on 75 meters.  I actually have
very little experience with that band. (yet)  As far as I am concerned,
however, H.F means High Frequency  NOT HighFidelity.             73's  BILL