[TenTec] Picky 75 meter people LONG

Avila, Edward EAvila@caiso.com
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:23:25 -0700

Guys, try CW at the other end of band........whole different crowd down
there (what is left of them) and all of them very intelligent, knowledgeable
gentlemen......what ham radio was like when I was a
kid...........73......k6sdw

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Hyde [mailto:cshyde@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2000 8:33 AM
To: Dan
Cc: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Picky 75 meter people LONG

You hit the nail on the head Dan. 75 meters is a cultural
and ham radio dry gulch. If you want to listen to a bunch
of  racists spout their hatred and a bunch of anti
government lunatics state their concerns about the great
government conspiricies then 75 meters is the place to be.
I think in light of the more crowded band conditions the
FCC should ban  AM transmissions altogether. Its just a
bunch of old fart broadcaster wannabe's playing with radios
who serve only their own interests not the interest of
growing the hobby. They will not welcome anyone into their
little circle and hog their little frequency feifdoms to
prevent others from using it. The nets either deal with
someones latest hernia operation or their latest attempt to
get better audio out of their antique equipment. They
finally got the lunatic fringe off of 7950 but no one can
use that frequency for QSO's because those guys lurk on the
frequency and if you ask if the frequency is in use someone
will always come on and tell you it is. We used to have a
nightly net on 7952.5. The net had been using that
frequency for twenty years every night. We were driven off
the frequency by some idiots in Florida who would purposely
come down from 7955 to QRM us. Most of us used 100 watts
and these guys would aim their beams and 1500 watts up
north to drive us off the frequency. So like you I don't
play on 75 meters any more because there is no intelligent
life on that band. Just take comfort in the fact that those
old farts are dying off faster than they can be replaced.

--- Dan <tacquire@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Until recently I had not been active in ham radio for
> quite awhile.
> Previous to that period though I was trying some vintage
> tube type AM
> stuff on 75.  I discovered very quickly that there was
> not a single fun
> thing about it.

=====
Carl HYDE
W2CSH
Remember, the opposite of PROGRESS is CONGRESS