[TenTec] Using the Omni 6+ QRP

Bob Mauro - PeopleNet mauro@idt.net
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 13:40:28 -0400 (EDT)

I've been using my Omni 6+ to operate QRP.  The "legal limit" for
QRP is 5 watts.  According to the Omni 6+ manual, the lowest the
Omni 6+ can go is 8 watts.  Yet I've put my Omni 6+ on an
external power meter and can drop the power from 100 watts to a
half watt output.  But the FWD meter on the Omni 6+ reads 8 watts
with the power knob set all the way down, counter clockwise.

By setting the power knob on the Omni 6+ at about 10 o'clock, I
can set the output to 5 watts on my external power meter.

I've done tests with a nearby ham, who checked my S readings as I
changed power output.  He seems to think my external meter at low
power is more accurate than the Omni 6+'s front-panel meter.
Anybody notice that?

   Bob Mauro, Mauro@Idt.Net      Amateur Radio Station KZ2G
   My DisAbility Website       http://idt.net/~mauro
   My Amateur Radio Website    http://idt.net/~mauro/kz2g.html