[TenTec] Fence Charger Pulses

Dan tacquire@earthlink.net
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 19:10:15 -0800

Ok a couple people have said similiar things to me in emails and you just
touched on something that perhaps I need to make clear.  The hot fence has
an internal relay of some sort or switch that goes CLICK every second or so
to turn the current on and off.  I'm darn certain it's not a short of any
kind but rather the simple spark of the relay completing the circuit and
radiating through the "antenna"  It's like a spark transmitter.  The noise
I am getting is not coming in through the mains either but it's pure RF and
I can pick it up on any radio, on ac or otherwise, it's also on the phone
lines.  I can run and disconnect the fence and sure enough my net
connection starts speeding up again and I don't get disconnected.  Not
quite sure why it's affecting my lines so badly right now though.  So I
believe that the unit itself is generating the entire pulse and not a short
somewhere down the line,, given that how would you suggest killing it?  By
the way, I've noted some interesting directional characteristics as well of
the fencing with my portable receiver and likewise any time I get closer to
any part of the fence the signal is as loud as though I am standing right
under the unit.  The directional tendencies come into play where there is
no fence on two sides of me.  I can almost null it out on the receiver by
putting me between the antenna and the nearest section of fence.

Thanks
Dan