[TenTec] Modifying the Centaur

Bill Gode wiley@interaccess.com
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 14:49:04 -0500

Jim,

I have a Centaur that came with 3 Svetlana 572Bs when I bought it,
used.  After listening to that jet engine of a  fan for an hour or so,
I took it out and installed a Dayton #4C548 (W.W. Grainger) 55 cfm,
1800 RPM fan to cut the noise.  RadioShack.com also has a 55 cfm fan
(#90-2521) that's a direct replacement.  With the 572Bs and slower fan,
I run 600 watts out all day with no heat build up on the cabinet top.
In fact, the only time the cabinet gets even warm is after I shut it
off and the tubes cool down without benefit of a blower.  With a 100
watt exciter, maximum output is limited by the input  matching network
pad and the lower plate voltage for 811As, so the 572Bs are never
stressed.   In its modified state, the Centaur is a great little
amplifier and I use it all the time.

73,

Bill, W9NHQ